This contest is open and free to all current members of the CWG.
One entry per member.
Winners will receive $25 and publication on our website.
Deadline to enter is September 21.
Fiction, Creative Nonfiction, and Poetry accepted.
This month’s judge will be Kate Landers, assisted by Ray Zimmerman and Tim Butler.
Kate Landers won the Gates-Thomas award for fiction in 2006, an SCBWI Honorable Mention for a children’s book in 2016, and 2nd place for both Fiction and Nonfiction in the 2017 CWG Spring Contest. She was a collaborator on the novel Esyld’s Awakening, and her work can be found in the 2017 and 2019 CWG Anthologies and at: http://www.KateLanders.com
Winners to be announced October 1st
This month’s theme compliance
Rules & Guidelines
- Submission period: 1st – 21st of each month (excepting February) from September 2020 through August 2021.
- Eligibility: All current members of the Chattanooga Writers’ Guild. Submissions must have never been published (personal blogs are ok), and must be your own original work.
- Genres: Fiction, Creative Nonfiction, Poetry
- Themes: Different each month. Check newsletter, Facebook, and website for the current theme.
- Fees: Free to members of the CWG.
- Prizes: $25 (check will be mailed) and publication in the newsletter and on our website.
- Word Limit: 2000 prose / 500 poetry
- Limited to 1 submission per author per month.
- The winner(s) of one month must skip the following month before submitting again.
- Do not include any identifying information (i.e. your name) in the header or body of your submission.
- Submissions should relate to the monthly theme. You can use the accompanying picture as a prompt, but you do not have to. You do not have to use the theme word in your submission.
- Judges will be different each month and will be announced on the 1st along with the theme.
- Questions can be sent to Contest Director Kate Landers at email@example.com.
- CWG reserves the right to refrain from publishing winning entries if they are not suited for a PG13 audience, or do not meet CWG publishing standards.
If you have problems using the Submissions Form, please email your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org as follows:- In the subject line, enter the contest month and genre (ex. September Poetry). – In the body of the email, provide the title of your entry, genre, name, and mailing address where your award check can be sent. Example:
Title: I am a Winner
Name: Betty Smith
Mailing Address: 123 Main St., Small Town, TN 12345-
Attach your submission with no identifying information